Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Inspirational Poem "Invictus" in Albanian and English

I was extremely pleased when the very talented Albanian poet, Merita Bajraktrai McCormack, accepted my invitation to translate the well-known, inspirational poem "Invictus" by William Ernest Henley into the Albanian language. Now, Merita's excellent translation can serve to inspire Albanians everywhere they are located in the world where the poem can be recited by both children and grownups. The Albanian translation below is followed by Henley's original poem in English.

Please forward "I Pamposhturi" to as many Albanians as possible.

Thanks.

***

Filmi "INVICTUS - I PAMPOSHTURI,” me regjisor Clint Eastwood, ku rolet kryesore luhen nga Morgan Freeman dhe Matt Damon, ben nje kronike te shkurter ne karieren
e Nelson Mandeles kur ai u zgjodh heren e pare si President i Afrikes se Jugut.
Poezia "Invictus - I Pamposhturi," shkruar nga Uilliam Earnest Henley e frymezoi presidentin Mandela dhe e ndihmoi ate te duronte burgimin e tij 30 vjecar ne ishullin Robbin.

I PAMPOSHTURI

Kësaj nate të errët që më ka Mbështjellë,
Meterrin e saj të zi si fundi i një pusi Të pa anë,
Unë falënderoj cilado qofshin ato Perëndi,
Për shpirtin e pamposhtur që më Dhanë.

Mbërthyer keq, në këtë mjerim, prej Fatit
Unë nuk dridhem, as bërtas duke u Turrur.
Prej kamxhikeve të jetës kokën e Kam të përgjakur
Por qëndroj kryelartë dhe aspak i Përulur.

Përtej këtij vendi plot zemërime dhe lot
Më shfaqen vec tmerre dhe hije
Megjithatë, kërcënimi i viteve
Më trim do më gjejë sa herë që të vijë

Nuk po pyes se sa e ngushtë do Jetë porta,
Sepse unë, jam i zoti i fatit tim,
Unë, jam kapiten, i shpirtit tim.

- Nga William Ernest Henley

Shqiperoi Frosina Merita Bajraktari McCormack


***

The movie, "Invictus," directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon chronicles a brief span in Nelson Mandela's career when he first became President of South Africa. "Invictus" is a poem by William Earnest Henley that inspired President Mandela and helped him endure 30 years of imprisonment on Robbin Island.


INVICTUS

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be,
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
how charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate;
I am the captain of my soul.

- William Ernest Henley

www.frosina.org/blog/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home